There has been a major coaching shuffle at Ardrey Kell High School:
• After helping open the school eight years ago, athletics director Cheryl Feeney is resigning. Under Feeney’s leadership, Ardrey Kell won five straight Wachovia Cups for athletic excellence and quickly developed one of the area’s top overall sports program. The school is currently accepting applications for her replacement, via principal David Switzer.
• After a year at Charlotte Latin, volleyball coach Zoe Bell is returning to Ardrey Kell, which she led to a N.C. 4A state championship in 2012.
• Brian Thompson, a member of the Winston-Salem Parkland powerhouse teams, is the school’s new wrestling coach. He was a four-year starter and captain at UNC-Pembroke.
• Junior varsity girls coach Jeff Buseick is the new varsity girls coach. Rachel Isenhour is the new cheerleading coach. She was junior varsity coach last year.
The fourth Southeast Summer Showcase is Sunday at Forsyth Country Day School in Kernersville. The event brings together some of the region’s top players for a day of games and instruction before national scouts and recruiting services. Last year’s event featured eight players who eventually landed at Division I schools and a dunk contest that landed Carlee Clemons on ESPN after he jumped over two players at the same time.
Area invitees include Zaqwun Matthews, Myers Park; Devin Cooper, Ardrey Kell; Jacob Skidmore, Kings Mountain; Malik Constantine, Olympic; Landon Murray, Draughn; Ryan Mobley, Cuthbertson; Chandler Murray, Berry; Jaylan McGill, Olympic; Andrew Ziegler, Olympic; Nelson McClain, Kings Mountain; Nigel Williams, Queen City Prep; Henderson Lentz, North Rowan; Brandon Lewis, Hopewell; Blan Hodges, Alexander Central; Matthew Allen, Cuthbertson; Tay Davis, East Rowan; Malon Herron, Carson
• Levar Batts Sr. is the new boys coach at Concord’s Robinson High. Batts’ son, also named Levar, was an Observer All-Region performer as a freshman and was named a freshman All-American by MaxPreps.
Davidson Day had two players sign scholarships: all-state Lamar Briggs (Jackson State) and Jonathan Pace (UNC-Wilmington).
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less