At least a half-dozen Panthers slipped and went to the ground Tuesday on the team’s saturated practice field.
Despite little rainfall in the area in recent days, Rivera saw “a couple big slips” from his players. Tight end Mike McNeill slipped on a pass intended for him and tackle Nate Chandler slipped on a block and stayed on the ground briefly. Center Jared Wheeler, linebacker Denicos Allen, Benwikere and first-round draft pick Kelvin Benjamin also slipped.
“You hold your breath every time you see a guy go to the ground, believe me,” Rivera said. “The ground has taken a lot of water.”
But switching to the turf field wasn’t an option for the Panthers. Rivera estimated the turf is 10 degrees warmer and it’s not without its inherent problems.
“We’re at the point where you don’t want to stress the knees and ankles,” Rivera said. “We do have to be careful.”
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.