Just in time for the scorching summer heat, beloved ice cream guru Ben & Jerry's has unveiled two ice cream concoctions and they may just make you laugh.
In celebration of Saturday Night Live's 40th anniversary, ice cream lovers can now take a spoon to "Gillys Catastrophic Crunch" or "Lazy Sunday," both inspired by popular SNL sketches.
Our fans have a great sense of humor and we share their affinity for the comic genius of Saturday Night Live, said Lisa Sholk, Ben & Jerrys Marketing Manager, in a press release. We loved the challenge of creating ice cream personalities for those iconic sketches.
Gilly's Catastrophic Crunch, inspired by a recurring character played by Kristen Wiig, is "a combination of chocolate & sweet cream ice creams, with caramel clusters, fudge-covered almonds & a marshmallow swirl as frantic and mischievous as the flavors namesake." Lazy Sunday, based on an SNL digital short starring Andy Samberg, "features a sincere love of cupcakes" and includes vanilla cake batter ice cream with a chocolate frosting swirl.
The new flavors will be available at Ben & Jerry's shops across the U.S. and Canada. The company says it plans to release two more SNL-inspired flavors later this year.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.