A Cabarrus County man is in critical condition and his neighbor is jailed after a Thursday night shooting southeast of Concord, authorities say.
William Brown Lomax, 40, was taken into custody late Thursday by the Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Office, investigators said. He is charged in the shooting of Larry Wayne Knight, 54.
The two men live near one another on Birdie Way Court, in a neighborhood off U.S. 601 north of Cold Springs Road. That is about 6 miles from Concord.
Deputies were called shortly before 8 p.m. to the 4800 block of Birdie Way Court after being told that a man had been shot. Investigators said they were able to talk briefly with Knight before he was rushed to Carolinas Medical Center-Northeast, where he was in critical condition Friday morning.
Investigators said Knight told deputies he was shot by Lomax. The sheriff’s office said it appears as if the shooting was domestic-related, but they said the investigation is continuing.
Lomax was charged with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury with intent to kill. He was jailed under $400,000 bond.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.