A Charlotte man was arrested on Wednesday after a two-month investigation by local, state and federal officials into drug trafficking, authorities say.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office said Desmond Lamonte Clark, 34, was taken into custody at his home in northeast Charlotte. He was charged with 35 drug-related counts, including several heroin trafficking charges.
Investigators said they believe Clark was supplying crack cocaine and heroin in several Piedmont counties over the past five years. The Sheriff’s Office said it began the probe in April, with an undercover agent allegedly making seven purchases of heroin and crack cocaine from Clark.
Each of the purchases was for at least 5 grams, and one sale was for 20 grams, deputies said.
Investigators said they found $5,000 in cash and a number of drug-related items at Clark’s home Thursday. He was jailed under $3 million bond.
Deputies said Clark had four felony drug convictions in Cabarrus County between 1999 and 2008.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.