Save Money in this Sunday's paper

comments
  • Print

Bourbon Street shooting suspect back in Louisiana

NEW ORLEANS The Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office says a suspect in the gunfight that killed one person and injured nine others last month in the French Quarter is back in New Orleans.

Trung Le is currently being held in Orleans Parish Prison. Le was booked with one count of first-degree murder and nine counts of attempted first-degree murder. Le is an Asian male from Belle Chasse, Louisiana.

Chris Bowman with the Orleans Parish DA's office says in a statement that Lee was picked up from a Mississippi jail around 10 a.m. Saturday. Prison officials said Le was booked about 1:15 p.m. Saturday.

Earlier Saturday, Mississippi Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves signed a document to have Le extradited.

The 20-year-old Le has been held in a Gulfport, Mississippi, jail since being arrested on July 4. He had refused to sign a waiver of extradition, but Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal signed what is called a governor's warrant Thursday, which overrides an inmate's refusal to be taken to another jurisdiction to face criminal charges.

A warrant New Orleans police issued for Le does not spell out in detail what evidence police have against him.

They have yet to identify the second gunman in the case.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more



Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more


Quick Job Search
Salary Databases
CharlotteObserver.com