MINNEAPOLIS The Major League Baseball Players Trust is going to award up to five scholarships a year in honor of former union head Michael Weiner.
The players trust said Tuesday in a release the Michael Weiner Scholarship for Labor Studies will "recognize and support the efforts of individuals dedicated to improving the lives of workers." Up to five $10,000 scholarships will be awarded annually beginning in 2015.
Weiner died of an inoperable brain tumor in 2012. He was 51.
Major League Baseball Players Association Executive Director Tony Clark announced the scholarship at the Baseball Writers Association of America's meeting ahead of Tuesday's All-Star game.
"Michael's passion, commitment and determination on behalf of others are well known, and it is our hope that through this scholarship we will be able to encourage and inspire others to pursue careers in support of workers' rights," Clark said.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.