An 18-inch ceramic statue of a kneeling soldier pointing a weapon may have been stolen from the Veterans Memorial Wall of Honor in Waxhaw.
The base appears to have been vandalized, Karen Johnson, who oversees the wall for American Legion Post 208, said Wednesday afternoon.
One side of the statue under the soldier reads “Respect Our Military.”
Johnson initially thought that perhaps a legion member had noticed the statue had come loose again and took it home for safekeeping. Johnson, who said the statue is worth about $35, intends to talk to the police about it.
On their Facebook page, Waxhaw police said someone may have taken the statue after it had come loose.
Union County Crime Stoppers posted that it is offering a reward for the return of the statue. Anyone with information about the missing statue is asked to call Waxhaw police at 704-843-0353 or Crime Stoppers at 704-283-5600.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.