Save Money in this Sunday's paper

comments

Drugged-up driver in 2013 fatal crash gets 12 years

  • http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2014/07/24/09/30/OCTKt.Em.138.jpeg|379
    -
    Billy Neal
  • http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2014/07/24/09/30/IQ9Pw.Em.138.jpeg|379
    -
    Justin Miller
  • http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2014/07/24/09/30/YU10y.Em.138.jpeg|379
    -
    Gergory Tillery
  • http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2014/07/24/09/30/k3VO6.Em.138.jpeg|379
    -
    Demarcus Reid

More Information

  • Fatal driving

    Billy Neal was one of several defendants charged with road fatalities who were part of Thursday’s “Homicide Day,” a once-a-month series of hearings and procedural updates for Mecklenburg’s ongoing murder cases.

    • Demarcus Reid, 21, pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from a July 28. 2013, wreck that killed two of his passengers and left a third in a coma. Reid did not have a license at the time. He served 2 1/2 years on a 2010 rape charge before being acquitted.

    • Eric Cox, 31, an Iraqi War veteran, is accused of second-degree murder and DWI in connection with the November 2011 wreck that killed a 26-year-old woman and seriously injured her 4-year-old son. The former Marine was also arrested for DWI in 2009. Cox, who was freed on $300,000 bond, was in court Thursday on procedural reasons and faces trial at a later date.

    • Justin Tyler Miller, 24, faces multiple charges in connection with a May 2013 crash that killed a Charlotte cabbie. Miller is accused of felony death by vehicle, felony hit and run, driving while impaired and driving with a revoked license. He had lost his license, police say, after a DWI arrest exactly a month before the crash. His plea hearing was rescheduled to Aug. 24.



Long after he lost his license, Billy Neal kept doing drugs and getting behind the wheel.

Now he’s lost his freedom.

The 21-year-old Charlotte man pleaded guilty Thursday for his role in a May 27, 2013, collision in southeast Charlotte that killed Jose Aguilar, 45, and his brother, Hugo Rene Duarte Aguilar, 34.

The charges: two counts of felony death by motor vehicle and one count of felony hit and run. The sentence: Neal will spend between 12 and 17 years in prison.

In an agreement that eliminates the cost of a trial, prosecutors set aside a series of charges, including second-degree murder and reckless driving.

According to court testimony, Neal was a creature of dangerous habits. Four times in the six months preceding the 2013 crash, he had been arrested on combined offenses of drugs and driving with a revoked license.

Early on the morning of May 27 – five days after he had been released from jail – Neal was behind the wheel of a borrowed Nissan, buzzing from marijuana and up to 10 Xanax he’d swallowed in the previous hour. Assistant District Attorney Jay Ashendorf says Neal hit speeds of up to 94 mph.

When Neal reached W.T. Harris Boulevard, the light was red. Instead of stopping, he swerved into the right-turn lane to miss a car waiting at the signal, then ripped into the intersection – just as the Aguilars were turning left on a green arrow off Harris, Ashendorf said.

Neal’s car T-boned the brothers’ vehicle. Investigators say it was traveling 62 mph at impact.

Afterward, witnesses say Neal freed himself from his wrecked car, and staggered around the scene muttering to himself that he was “going down.”

Thursday, that prediction came true.

The slender, 6-foot-2, dread-locked defendant accepted his sentence from Superior Court Judge Robert Ervin in a single-syllable monotone, answering the judge’s questions with a “yes” or “no” as he stared at the floor.

Asked when he had last been under the influence of drugs or alcohol, Neal, who’s been jailed since his arrest, answered: “At least a year.”

Nearby, the Aguilars’ youngest and only surviving brother watched a few rows behind Ashendorf. The brother declined to speak to the judge and courtroom.

When the judge also gave Neal a chance to address the court before sentencing, the defendant gave one of his few two-word responses of the hearing.

“No, sir,” he said in a low voice.

Moments later, he was led away, preparing for a trip to prison he’ll make as a passenger.

Gordon: 704-358-5095
Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more



Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more


Quick Job Search
Salary Databases
Your 2 Cents
Share your opinion with our Partners
Learn More
CharlotteObserver.com