Ive been listening hard and can tell you with authority that I never hear the following phrases uttered in Charlotte.
• Theyre doing such a good job making the airport hassle-free.
• I never knew before what a great team the Knights were.
• Slapping this toll on I-77 to Lake Norman is such a brilliant idea, we should do it to the highways I drive on.
• Ill never get tired of hearing the kids sing that song from Frozen.
• After checking out those snazzy escalators, I can see why we needed to give $87 million to the Panthers.
• Exit 36 in Mooresville always reminds me of Paris.
• Oh, no! Weve lost another tire factory to rural South Carolina.
• This latest kerfuffle is just the thing that was needed to mature P.J. Hairston.
• It doesnt astonish me at all how DUI checkpoints snare only a handful of drunks, but dozens of unlicensed drivers.
• I just love my cable company.
• Ever notice how the people demonstrating outside Duke Energy headquarters look absolutely normal?
• I wish I were on the Union County school board.
• Even though theres no money to widen our roads, Im glad N.C. 12 gets rebuilt on the Outer Banks after every storm.
• Running express buses to the airport from the malls, but not letting you leave your car there, was a fantastic idea.
• Couldve happened to anybody. Let Chiquita keep the incentives.
• Whats that long line outside the NASCAR museum?
• I was shocked when I heard that the movie studio at Eastland Mall fell through.
• I knew all along nobody would come to uptown for baseball.
• Its so cute when the light turns green and the driver in front of you doesnt notice because hes got his nose in his phone.
• Although our state image has suffered lately, electing Clay Aiken to Congress should turn that around.
Washburn: 704-358-5007. email@example.com.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less