SPARTANBURG Observations from Monday’s Carolina Panthers training camp practice at Wofford College:
• Tight end Brandon Williams has stayed after practice each day in Spartanburg to work on his pass-catching.
• Receiver Tiquan Underwood had hamstring and abductor injuries during minicamp but said he’s at 100 percent.
• Second-year cornerback Melvin White had a good day, throwing blanket coverage on Tiquan Underwood and Jerrico Cotchery on separate go routes during team drills.
• Free safety Thomas DeCoud, a free agent pickup during the offseason, was sidelined for the latter part of practice after aggravating a lower leg injury. But DeCoud stayed involved, walking on to the field at one point to give instructions to recently acquired safety Tom Nelson.
• A Derek Anderson pass intended for Williams was tipped by a diving Chase Blackburn and richoceted to James Dockery for an interception.
• The punt returners didn’t drop any Monday as has been their wont lately. The punts weren’t coming off the foot of Brad Nortman but off a machine, which had a considerably lower trajectory than Nortman.
• Dwan Edwards, Ryan Kalil, DeAngelo Williams and Roman Harper all got veteran days off.
• Running back Darrin Reaves fumbled a handoff from Anderson early in practice. He looked as if he didn’t know it was a called rushing play.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less