SPARTANBURG Observations from Thursday’s Carolina Panthers training camp practice at Wofford College:
• After a pedestrian OTAs and minicamp, receiver Tavarres King has put three solid days together. King caught another touchdown pass Thursday and he’s making an impression on his coaches.
• Tight end Brandon Williams looks less robotic in his routes and after the catch. He stayed after practice to work on his blocking.
• If you see Mike Tolbert catching kickoffs, he’s not supposed to. Tolbert has been lining up as the primary returner when he should be the up-man to help block, and Rivera said only in emergencies will Tolbert return kicks.
• Tiquan Underwood, Kealoha Pilares and Philly Brown all returned kicks Thursday and didn’t drop one.
• Underwood struggled Thursday and had at least two drops lining up at receiver. The team likes his speed but he has to be able to catch the ball.
• Cornerback Carrington Byndom got his third interception in as many practices when he picked off a Matt Blanchard pass intended for Brenton Bersin.
• Bersin has worked his way into some plays with the first-team offense. The Wofford alum won’t be a first-team receiver, but it says a great deal about where the former practice squad player has come.
• St. Augustine’s alum Alex Hall, who last year played in the Canadian Football League, had a powerful rush against Nate Chandler in drills and took the tackle to ground.
• Cornerback Charles Godfrey made a great break on a Cam Newton pass intended for Marvin McNutt and almost intercepted the ball. Godfrey did push ups for not catching the slick ball.
• Cornerback James Dockery picked off a Derek Anderson pass to Marcus Lucas in team drills.
• Nickel corner Bene’ Benwikere had the day’s only pick-six when he intercepted Anderson in team drills.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less