The Penguin Drive-In’s landlord has filed to evict the iconic Plaza Midwood eatery, court documents show.
The future of the restaurant has been in question since it closed about a week ago. Owner Lisa Ballentine said earlier this week that she temporarily closed the diner while an employee dealt with the death of a relative in Raleigh.
She had said the restaurant would reopen Wednesday, but there was no activity at the Penguin on Wednesday evening. A sign on the door read: “Revised open date August 7, 2014.” Ballentine’s cellphone voicemail box was full.
The property’s landlord, 1921 Commonwealth Avenue Holdings LLC, claims the restaurant violated the terms of its lease by failing to maintain electric service, according to eviction documents filed Monday. The documents also say the property appears to be abandoned.
Don Rawlins, a Charlotte attorney who co-owns the property, said he has not been in contact with Ballentine. He also said he has not verified with Duke Energy whether the restaurant has lost power service, but said it is clear the lights haven’t been on inside.
“The only thing I know is I can drive by and see what everybody else sees,” Rawlins said. “I would like to know what’s going on.”
A trial date on the eviction has been set for next week.
The eviction proceedings are the latest round of bad news for a 60-year-old business that has struggled through financial problems in recent years. In 2010, the restaurant was sued over claims it owed $17,000 on an outstanding loan.
In November, the Penguin filed for bankruptcy while owing $140,000 in federal taxes. This summer, a judge threw out one filing, and another was dismissed. Staff Writer Celeste Smith contributed.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.