DURHAM P.J. Hairston had his court date on a misdemeanor assault charge moved Friday to Sept. 12.
The Charlotte Hornets guard, represented by Bill Thomas, Butch Williams and Sam Coleman, was not in court Friday morning.
Hairston was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery after an incident during a pickup game at a Durham YMCA last month.
Thomas declined to comment on the case. He did say the court date could also be moved to October.
A conviction could land Hairston up to 60 days in jail.
Kentrell Barkley, a 6-foot-5, 190-pound senior at Northern Durham High, said he did nothing to provoke Hairston during the game but said Hairston punched him twice. Hairston’s agent said Barkley threw the first punch.
Hairston was in the Trangle that weekend to celebrate getting drafted.
The Hornets chose Hairston 26th overall June 26 in a prearranged trade with the Miami Heat.
Over the past year, Hairston has had various off-court issues, some of which cost him his NCAA eligibility at North Carolina and forced him into the NBA Development League.
Hairston was arrested during a traffic stop in Durham last summer. He was arrested for marijuana possession – a charge that was dropped – and a handgun was found near the car he was in.
He had been suspended from the North Carolina basketball team after an NCAA investigation into his use of rental vehicles tied him to convicted felon and party promoter Haydn “Fats” Thomas.
Hairston also was cited in May and June 2013 while he was driving vehicles linked to Thomas.
Alexander: 919-932-2008; Twitter: @jonmalexander1
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less