A 66-year-old Iredell County woman was jailed this week after a 9-year-old boy in her care shot himself in the leg with her .357 revolver after she fell asleep, authorities said.
Brenda Moore Rucker of Pilch Road in Troutman was arrested and charged with failure to store a firearm to protect minors and felony child abuse with serious physical injuries. Rucker is free on a $30,000 secured bond.
The boy is in good condition at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, authorities said.
Rucker stored the gun on the second shelf of a cabinet near the living room, right behind the chair in which she was sleeping, investigators said.
She’d wrapped the gun in a cloth rag and placed it inside a toboggan. Rucker told authorities she’d kept the gun to protect her home, and she wasn’t aware anyone knew she kept the pistol there.
The boy shot himself about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday in a bedroom where he and his sister were watching TV, authorities said.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.