A 19-year-old Lenoir man was killed Tuesday morning in a predawn head-on crash that injured his wife and another woman, police say.
The crash was reported shortly after 5:15 a.m. in the 2700 block of Ellerwood Road. That is at the southeast edge of the Lenoir city limits.
Police identified the victim as Allen Paul Barnes of Hudson. Investigators said Barnes was driving a 2003 Kia northbound on Ellerwood Road with his 19-year-old wife, Courtney, as a passenger.
As the car approached a curve near Starcross Road, police said, it veered across the center line and struck a southbound 2004 GMC Envoy driven by a 39-year-old Lenoir woman. Barnes died at the scene, and the two other women were hurt.
Police said a preliminary investigation indicated that speed, road conditions and vehicle equipment on the Kia contributed to the crash.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.