SPARTANBURG Observations from the final day of Carolina Panthers training camp at Wofford College:
• Coach Ron Rivera once against played quarterback during pass protection drills. Thomas Davis ran into Rivera, who promised to get Davis back if he has a bruise Wednesday.
• Richie Brockel continued his solid play in that drill. Tight end Brandon Williams did as well. Kenjon Barner and Bene’ Benwikere struggled against bigger, more physical players.
• Kawann Short busted through tackle David Foucault in line drills. He has continued to get into the backfield consistenly, just like he did last season.
• Wide receiver Philly Brown made a great one-handed catch in the back of the end zone on a pass from Derek Anderson while going against Charles Godfrey.
• Greg Hardy dropped into coverage several times Tuesday during team drills. He had two pass breakups, including a near interception.
• Veteran defensive tackle Dwan Edwards had his way with rookie Trai Turner in line drills.
• Wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin grabbed a touchdown in red zone drills over safety Colin Jones and linebacker A.J. Klein on a pass from Cam Newton.
• Klein made a nice pass breakup in 7-on-7 drills by stepping in front of a Derek Anderson pass intended for Marvin McNutt.
• Newton posed for several pictures with nine members of the Wofford volleyball team after practice. They posed for “swag” pictures as well as the volleyball players doing Newton’s Superman pose.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less