An alleged bag man in Charlottes airport taxi dispute will serve 33 months in federal prison after asking an undercover officer to burn down the house of a rival.
Zulfiqar Ali Zack Kacho of Vale had earlier pleaded guilty to the arson-related charge. He was sentenced Wednesday in Charlotte by U.S. District Judge Max Cogburn.
According to court records, Kacho, 40, offered to pay the agent $1,000 to burn down the home of a South Carolina man whom he considered a romantic rival. He pleaded guilty to soliciting a crime of violence in July 2013.
Earlier this year, two disgruntled taxi cab owners, claiming they were unfairly cut out of the citys new contract with the airport, said they were told by Kacho they would be allowed back in if they paid a $10,000 bribe.
According to the cab owners, Kacho told them the money was to be spread around to former Mayor Patrick Cannon and several city council members.
Kacho, who has been in custody since his March 2013 arrest, has never been charged in connection with the bribery allegations.
His supposed offer surfaced after Cannon was arrested on bribery charges in March.
Several of the cab companies have since filed suit.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less