A Kings Mountain man has been sentenced to more than 10 years in prison in a child pornography case, according to federal prosecutors.
Charles Kevin Bridges, 56, was sentenced Thursday by U.S. Chief District Court Judge Frank Whitney to 121 months in prison. Bridges also will be required to register as a sex offender and will be under court supervision for the rest of his life after being released from prison.
Whitney also ordered Bridges to pay $3,000 in restitution to a child pornography victim.
Prosecutors said Bridges had pleaded guilty in March to one count each of receiving child pornography and possession of child pornography.
According to documents and statements made in court, a law enforcement officer was able to download images and videos of child pornography from Bridges’ computer, using a peer-to-peer network. Cleveland County sheriff’s detectives and other law enforcement officers searched Bridges’ home on Bethlehem Road in mid-February 2013 and reported finding hundreds of images of children being sexually abused.
Federal prosecutors said some of the children were toddlers, shown in the images engaging in sexual acts with adults.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.