Observations from Fridays Carolina Panthers practice in Charlotte:
• The Panthers have not yet given up on receiver Tiquan Underwood, who has struggled to catch the ball consistently. Underwood was signed to replace Ted Ginn Jr. as a deep threat, and coach Ron Rivera said Underwood has a skill set wed like to have. Sundays exhibition against the Kansas City Chiefs is a big one for Underwood.
• Look for undrafted rookie Philly Brown to return punts against the Chiefs after Kenjon Barner failed to do much with his opportunity last week. Brown has good speed and had good success as a returner at Ohio State.
• With strong safety Roman Harper still sidelined with turf toe, Anderson Russell has been getting a lot reps with the first-team defense. Coaches like Russells physical style and his football smarts.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.