Police in Shelby say a moped rider who apparently was trying to avoid officers was killed in a two-vehicle collision Tuesday night.
The victim, whose name has not been released, died when his moped collided with another vehicle about 8:45 p.m. The crash took place at Graham Street and Patton Drive, a few blocks southeast of the city’s center.
According to police, an officer stopped a moped at Pinkney Street and Patton Drive. A passenger on the moped got off the vehicle, and as the officer got out of his patrol car, police said, the moped rider drove away.
The moped went about a block and crashed into a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse in the next intersection on Patton Drive, at Graham Street. The rider died at the scene.
A Shelby woman driving the Traverse and a passenger were taken to Cleveland Regional Medical Center with injuries described as not life-threatening.
Shelby police and the N.C. Highway Patrol are investigating.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.