FORT MILL A Charlotte woman was swindled out of $300 by a man claiming to sell laptops in a Fort Mill parking lot, according to a York County Sheriffs Office report.
The woman, 53, was pumping gas at the Kangaroo Express on Carowinds Boulevard this weekend when a man offered to sell her a laptop. The victim was interested in purchasing one for her daughter, the report states. She stated that the man had several FedEx boxes in the back of his blue Sedan.
Before negotiating a deal, the man asked the woman to step away from the stations camera, the report states. After giving the man the $300, the woman received one of the FedEx boxes. The woman did not open the box until she was home, and found it contained a cord and two clipboards wrapped in bubble wrap. She returned to the gas station but could not locate the suspect.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.