Bettina Hager, deputy director of the ERA Coalition in Washington, will be keynote speaker Tuesday at the annual Women’s Equality Day Celebration at The Square, the intersection of Trade and Tryon streets in Charlotte.
The event is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., about the same time that President Barack Obama will be visiting the American Legion Convention about five blocks away.
The event marks the 94th anniversary of the date when women gained the right to vote with the passage of the 19th Amendment. It also will focus on the importance of women voting.
Other speakers scheduled are Erin Byrd, of the Blue Print NC Coalition; UNC Charlotte athletics director Judy Rose; and Huntersville Mayor Jill Swain.
The event is sponsored by Action NC’s Women Voting Our Values. Steve Lyttle
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.