A West Charlotte High School student who was seriously injured shortly before noon Monday when she was struck by a car in northwest Charlotte, was upgraded to fair condition on Tuesday, police said.
Police found Jennifer Tejeda, 16, lying in the left northbound lane of Beatties Ford Road near Hildebrand Street, in the University Park community. Tejeda was unresponsive and transported to Carolinas Medical Center with critical injuries, police said.
Tejeda ran across the road in front of other vehicles, causing them to brake, police said, including a truck with a trailer traveling northbound in the left lane of Beatties Ford Road.
Angela Hobbs, 50, who was driving a 2004 Dodge Stratus in the right northbound lane, didnt see Tejeda because the truck blocked her view, police said. Tejeda ran directly into the path of the Dodge. Hobbs applied the brakes but couldnt avoid striking her, police said.
A marked crosswalk with caution signals is 96 feet from where Tejeda was crossing, police said.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.