Benny LeMay, Butler: Fullback rushed for 82 yards and two touchdowns as No. 2 Butler stopped No. 1 Mallard Creek 28-27. He also had 95 receiving yards and a score.
Akease Rankin, Mooresville: Rushed for 180 yards and four touchdowns as Mooresville routed Hough 38-7. Hough entered the game ranked No. 3 in the Sweet 16.
Gabe Montgomery, Providence Day: Sophomore rushed for 298 yards and two scores in 17-0 win against Raleigh Ravenscroft. That was the second-highest rushing total in school history.
Chancery Bowman, Mallard Creek: 29 carries for 320 yards and three touchdowns against Butler.
Josh Ladowski, Lake Norman: 15-of-29 for 291 yards and four touchdowns in 38-7 win against Hopewell. Corey Joyner caught six passes for 156 yards.
Andrew Kakaley, Hickory Grove: 11 tackles and two sacks in 27-7 win against Wake Christian. Teammate William Lloyd rushed for 188 yards and three scores.
Langston Wertz Jr.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.