Charlotte Catholic returned to a familiar spot Wednesday – No. 1 in the Observer’s Sweet 16 soccer poll.
The Cougars, one of the state’s historically dominant teams, jumped from No. 4 to the top spot after beating former No. 1 Garinger 1-0 on the road Tuesday night. Charlotte Catholic has reached 17 N.C. High School Athletic Association state championship games and won seven titles.
Garinger, seeking its first soccer title this season, fell to No. 4, behind Hough and Providence. Garinger beat Providence and tied Hough this season. Garinger is ranked 25th nationally in one poll, and the Wildcats are ranked No. 1 in the state coaches poll.
Last week, Providence and Hough went a combined 3-0 to maintain their rankings.
| Rk.|| School|| Class|| Rec.|| Prv.|
| 1.||Charlotte Catholic||4A||4-0-1||4|
| 5. ||Weddington||3A||5-1-1||7|
| 6.||Charlotte Country Day||IND||6-2||5|
| 7.||Charlotte Latin||IND||3-1-1||6|
| 9.||Porter Ridge||4A||5-0-1||NR|
|11.||Lake Norman Charter||2A||3-2||11|
Dropped out: Marvin Ridge (3A, 3-3); South Iredell (3A, 1-2-1). Also receiving consideration: Cannon (IND, 4-2); East Lincoln (2A, 4-1); Queens Grant (1A, 6-0-1); Lincolnton (2A, 4-0-1); West Lincoln (2A, 3-0-1). Eligible teams: Visit charlotteobserver.com/preps to a view a list of eligible schools.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.