A 20-year-old man is behind bars after police in Statesville found him hiding under a bed after he reportedly shot and killed another man after the two were involved in a fight.
According to police, officers were called to the home along the 200 block of Chambers Street just after midnight.
That’s where they found Keith Levan Keaton Jr., who had been shot in the chest.
Keaton was rushed to Iredell Memorial Hospital, where he later died from his injuries.
Investigators say Keaton and 20-year-old Troyshawn Nicholas Williams were involved in an altercation on Thursday night. Williams later returned to the home and shot Keaton.
Officers began searching for Williams and found him around 6 a.m. Friday at an apartment along Simonton Road, hiding under a bed.
He was charged with murder and arrested by police.
The investigation is continuing, and anyone with information can contact the Statesville Police Criminal Investigations Division at 704-878-3515 or Iredell Crime Stoppers at 704-662-1340.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.