Homemade 'Hunger Games' back online
Charlotte teens’ video version of popular story had been partly removed from YouTube
04/03/2012 12:00 AM
04/04/2012 8:06 AM
For a group of Charlotte teenagers who made their own “Hunger Games” movie, the games have resumed.
Their film, which has been on YouTube since last fall, is available in-full again after the site took part of it down over the weekend. The maker of the blockbuster Hollywood version, Alliance Films, had claimed it violated their copyright.
The young filmmakers, students at Charlotte Country Day School, were threatened with banishment from YouTube if they didn’t remove all offending material, said Eddie Mansius, a member of the group. It wasn’t clear to them what the violation was, Mansius said. They wrote YouTube and the filmmakers Sunday, asking “what can we do to fix it?”
They hadn’t received a response by Tuesday afternoon, Mansius said. But a New York Times reporter contacted both the teens and the Lionsgate studio Monday, Mansius said. The reporter told the students that Lionsgate officials said the video was taken down mistakenly, according to Mansius. Lionsgate has not responded to the Observer’s request for comments.
The flap about the student film – whose seven parts have totaled more than 1 million views – was “a learning experience,” Mansius said.
“It taught me that you can’t act too rashly at first” in a dispute, he said.
“You need to just contact them, do the best you can, and leave it at that.”
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.