11 charged after Rowan girls fight
07/24/2012 12:00 AM
07/24/2012 6:37 PM
A fight earlier this month between two Rowan County girls has led to the arrests of 11 people, including a woman who sheriff’s deputies allege set up the fight between her daughter and another teen.
The mother denies the charges, and her daughter says her mother was attacked by two young men during the brawl.
Sheriff’s deputy B.M. Long says the fight broke out some time around 5 p.m. July 14 on the property of a home in the 8200 block of Karriker Road, in the southern part of Rowan County.
The official report of the incident says two girls got into a fight, and several other people got involved. The report also says a number of people watched the girls throw punches and wrestle each other.
Several people watching the fight recorded it on cell phones, and video of the brawl was posted for a time on YouTube. The video shows the girls throwing several punches, with a group of teens and adults watching and cheering.
In his report, Long noted that hands, feet and teeth were used by the combatants.
The report alleges that Lisa Sellers, 35, who lives at the home where the brawl took place, set up the fight.
Sellers told the Salisbury Post and WSOC-TV that the fight resulted from a dispute between her 15-year-old daughter and her ex-boyfriend. Sellers told reporters that the ex-boyfriend had threatened to bring a girl to her house, to fight her daughter.
In an interview with WSOC, Sellers said she told her daughter, “If you’re going to fight her, you better beat her butt.”
The sheriff’s office report says one girl’s blouse was torn away, and one teen involved in the fracas suffered a broken nose.
In a post on the Salisbury Post’s online story, someone identifying herself as Sellers’ daughter said her mother had “been jumped” by two young men who had come to the property.
Sellers was among the 11 people charged in the case. The charges include affray, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and cyber bullying. The sheriff’s office also filed marijuana-related charges against two people. At least three adults were among those charged.
A court date for those charged in the case is set for Aug. 26.
WSOC-TV story: http://tinyurl.com/dyu5s6e
Salisbury Post story: http://tinyurl.com/bsb4ygq
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.