Fire officials in Gaston County say a man’s dog might have saved his life when fire destroyed a mobile home late Monday night near Mount Holly.
The fire was reported about 11:30 p.m. at a residence in the 100 block of Spratt Drive, according to Gaston County fire officials. Crews from the East Gaston Volunteer Fire Department responded, but the home was heavily engulfed in flames by the time they arrived.
Never miss a local story.
Authorities say the resident, Gordon Arnold, 57, had taken medicine and turned off his hearing aid before going to sleep. Arnold’s dog, Jamaica, started barking next to the man’s bed when the fire started and awakened him. Arnold and Jamaica escaped without injury.