Four people were injured, one seriously, in a west Charlotte house fire late Monday morning.
Several people jumped to safety from a second-floor window, witnesses said.
The fire was reported shortly before 11 a.m. at a two-story house in the 1100 block of State Street, off Tuckaseegee Road. Charlotte fire Capt. Mark Basnight said firefighters found smoke coming from the house when they arrived.
Nine people were inside the house, authorities say. At least two of them jumped from the second floor to escape the smoke. It took the crew of 27 firefighters less than 10 minutes to put out the blaze.
Never miss a local story.
A spokeswoman for Medic said one person suffered life-threatening injuries, and three others were less seriously hurt. All four were taken to Carolinas Medical Center.
Firefighters told reporters that the blaze was the result of a kitchen grease fire.
Medic said it is keeping an ambulance at the scene, in case it is needed for firefighters. Near-90-degree heat and high humidity is making conditions very uncomfortable for crews at the scene.