UNC reached out to former player Rashad McCants on Sunday, asking him to meet to talk about his recent statements on ESPN and Sirius radio in which he accused the university of academic misconduct.
The letter, signed by associate athletics director Vincent Ille, asked McCants to contact the school to discuss his critical comments about the men’s basketball team.
“I learned today of public statements you have made that indicate your knowledge of potential NCAA rule violations involving the University of North Carolina,” the letter says. “I would like to meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss this in greater detail.”
Reached Sunday night, Ille confirmed that a registered letter was sent to McCants’ residence, along with two text messages. Ille said he had not received a reply as of Sunday night.
McCants, a key player on UNC’s 2005 national title basketball team, made national news when he told ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” during an interview that aired last month that tutors wrote his papers and that he relied on no-show African and Afro-American Studies classes to remain eligible during his time at UNC. In danger of becoming academically ineligible, he said that he took all AFAM classes during the spring of 2005 and that he did so well he made the dean’s list.
Copies of McCants’ transcript, which “Outside the Lines” obtained, verify his course load.
McCants told ESPN that coach Roy Williams knew about the no-show classes, and that Williams in the fall of 2004 warned him that he could become academically ineligible. Williams denied McCants’ claims and said he had no knowledge of tutors writing papers for his players.
McCants said Friday during an interview on Sirius Radio that he has not talked to the NCAA about his allegations. The NCAA reopened its investigation into UNC athletics last week.