Evidence gathered in a case involving NASCAR driver Tony Stewart will be forwarded to a grand jury, The Ontario (N.Y.) District Attorney’s Office said Tuesday.
“Upon my review of all the information contained in the entire investigation, I have made the determination that it would be appropriate to submit the evidence to a grand jury, for their determination as to what action should be taken in this matter,” said district attorney Michael Tantillo in a statement.
The Ontario County Office of Sheriff had been gathering investigation into the Aug. 9 incident at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park in which a sprint car driven by Stewart struck and killed Kevin Ward, who was walking on the track while the race was under caution.
“I respect the time and effort spent by both the Ontario County District Attorney and the Sheriff’s Office in investigating this tragic accident. I look forward to this process being completed, and I will continue to provide my full cooperation,” Stewart said in a statement released by his team.
Never miss a local story.
The sheriff’s office said last week it had submitted what it described as a “thorough” investigation to the district attorney’s office for review, including a recently received forensic video enhancement completed by the New York State Police laboratory in Albany, N.Y.
The sheriff’s office has been in possession of at least two videos of the incident, only one of which has been viewed by the public.
In the statement, Tantillo said he could not say when the case will be scheduled with the grand jury, or would be presented as witnesses.
The Observer will be updating this story.