10 tips for a timely thank you:
1. Treat yourself to wonderful note cards that will inspire you to write. Try Kate Spade for classy cards.
2. Buy stamps in bulk and at the beginning of your planning period.
3. Browse the bookstores. Believe it or not, there are books available with sample thank-you notes.
4. Write your notes while gifts are still fresh in your mind.
5. If you plan to open gifts at a shower, ask a trusted friend to keep track. As you open each present, have your friend jot down an observation or two as to how you received it, so you’ll recall your initial reactions when you’re writing your acknowledgments. You can express those feelings in your note cards, and your friends will appreciate your genuine sentiments.
6. Think about what you plan to do with your gift, and express gratitude for its usefulness. For instance, if you receive a hammock, mention how great it will be to come home and relax in it after a long day at work.
7. Pre-address envelopes for anticipated thank-you notes. While you don’t want to be presumptuous, you’re pretty sure your uncle, cousin or boss will send gifts. Pulling together address information early will help you get those notes out in a flash.
8. Surprise someone. Include a snapshot of you admiring your gift, a short poem, or even a dinner invitation with your note.
9. Recruit help if you need it. It may take a little coaching, but your groom can assist with this detail of the wedding process. It’s a great way to include him while giving you both some special time to share with each other as you talk about the terrific gifts you’ve received and the terrific people who gave them to you.
10. Always be gracious. Remember, wedding gifts are not mandatory, and a thoughtful gift deserves a thoughtful note. And you’ll enjoy them even more knowing that you’ve expressed your appreciation to the people who helped make your celebration as happy and memorable as possible!
Check out our list of stationery vendors.