There’s no shame in letting someone else do the cooking on Thanksgiving. I hear from people every year who’ve made it a family tradition. Empty-nesters in particular often just want a little something turkey-like without having to buy and cook it all.
I’ve been gathering information for restaurants that are offering Thanksgiving meals on Nov. 24. The list is growing quickly now. I’ve also heard from a few restaurants that don’t plan to open, and I’ll include those as well, to save you a little dialing time.
The time is getting close, so if you want a reservation, you need to get on it this week. Spots fill up quickly, for both restaurant seats and for caterers who offer everything from whole dinners to pre-cooked sides.
Several restaurants along North Tryon Street are doing Thanksgiving meals tied to the Novant Health Thanksgiving Day Parade. You get a spot to watch the parade (including being able to use the facilities inside), then a seating for an early afternoon meal. Those include The Asbury, Chima and a few others listed below. If you’re going to the parade, it’s worth asking any restaurant uptown if they have some kind of pairing.
Never miss a local story.
If none of these suits your needs, here’s a tip: Most hotel restaurants do holiday meals. They have to be open for guests anyway, so they can be an option for people who aren’t staying there.
Restaurants open on Thanksgiving:
▪ Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar, 210 E. Trade St., Charlotte. Four-course fixed-price menu is $39.95 for adults and $19.95 per child (12 and younger). Starts at 11 a.m.-8 p.m.; reservations required. Call 704-333-4266 or reserve online at www.flemingssteakhouse.com.
▪ The Flipside Restaurant, 129 Caldwell St., Rock Hill. 11 a.m.-4 p.m.; all-you-can-eat family-style dinner. $30 for adults, $12 for kids ages 5-12. 803-324-3547.
▪ Passion8, 1523 Elizabeth Ave. 2-6 p.m., three-course, all-local dinner. $42 for adults; free for children ages 8 and younger. 704-910-3161.
▪ Evoke, the steakhouse at Le Meridien Charlotte, 555 S. McDowell St., will do a soup-to-dessert fixed-price menu for $49 plus tax and gratuity from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. www.evokerestaurant.com or 980-237-5354.
▪ The Asbury: Three-course, family-style meal with two seatings (12:30-1:15 p.m. and 3-3:45 p.m.) that includes VIP tickets for the parade while supplies last. $55 for adults, $25 for children ages 6- 10, free for children 5 and younger. The hotel also has a parade and shopping package. The restaurant also is offering take-home orders with pickup on Thanksgiving (advance registration required, 704-342-1193). Details: opentable.
▪ Stoke: At the Marriott City Center, 100 W. Trade St. A four-course meal with family-style sides and some menu choices, plus dessert inspired by their one-pound doughnut; $50. Seatings are at noon, 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. Reservations: 704-353-6005. Details: www.stokecharlotte.com.
▪ 5Church: 127 N. Tryon St. (entrance at 5th and Church). Four-course menu between 11 a.m.-9 p.m.; limited seating for parties larger than six. 704-919-1322.
▪ Chima Brazilian Steakhouse, 139 S. Tryon St. Includes the regular Brazilian rodizio menu (rotisserie meats) plus traditional Thanksgiving items added. $54.90 per person, $27.50 for ages 7-11; children younger than 6 are free. 704-601-4141.
▪ Evoke at Le Meridien, 555 S. McDowell St. Fixed-price menu by executive chef Oscar LaFuente. $49. per person. 11 a.m.-3 p.m. 980-237-5354 or www.evokerestaurant.com.
▪ Upstream, 6902 Phillips Place. Chef’s table by executive chef Scott Whalen with everything from sushi and seafood to traditional fare. $39.95 per person, $19.95 for children 12 and younger. 11 a.m.-4 p.m.. 704-556-7730 or www.harpersgroup.com/upstream.
▪ Mimosa Grill, 327 S. Tryon St. Southern Table Thanksgiving Buffet. $42.95 for adults, $14.95 for children younger than 12. 11 a.m.-4 p.m. 704-343-0700. Also offering Turkeys on the Run, a full dinner with sides for pickup for $34.95 per person, four person minimum. Ordering deadline: Noon Nov. 20. Pickup 2-8 p.m. Nov. 23 or 8-10 a.m. Nov. 24.
▪ The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, 10000 Ballantyne Commons Parkway. Buffet and carving station with live entertainment. $75 per person, $35 for children ages 5-13; private dining rooms available for larger groups. 11 a.m.-3 p.m. 704-248-4100 or www.gallery-restaurant.com.
▪ Del Frisco’s, 4725 Piedmont Row Drive. Three-course fixed-price (gluten-free available). $49 per person. Noon to 8 p.m. 704-552-5502.
▪ Delectables By Holly, 1224 Charlottetowne Ave. Catered menu of appetizers, side and desserts you can pick up to go. Prices vary. Order deadline: Nov. 18; pick up Nov. 23 between 9 a.m.-3 p.m. 704-342-4800 or www.delectablesbyholly.com
▪ Queen City Q, 4 locations (8524 Pit Stop Court, Concord; 3016 Weddington Road, Matthews; 16139 Lancaster Highway near Ballantyne, and 225 E. 6th St., Charlotte). Pick-up Thanksgiving package that feeds 15 people, including two smoked turkeys; $175. Delivery available. 704-33408437 or email email@example.com.
▪ Bean Vegan, 3001 E. Independence Blvd. Vegan Thanksgiving dinner. $30, $15 for children 12 and younger. 1-6 p.m. 980-989-1234.
▪ The Liberty, 1812 South Blvd. 8th annual 3-course Thanksgiving dinner. $35 for adults, $12 for children 10 and younger. Noon-8 p.m. 704-332-8830 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Lumiere, 1039 Providence Road. French-inspired 3-course Thanksgiving dinner. $49.95, $19.95 for children 10 and younger. Noon-3 p.m. 704-372-3335.
▪ Sullivan’s Steakhouse, 1928 South Blvd. Three-course fixed-price dinner (gluten-free available). $39.95 per person. Noon-8 p.m. 704-335-8228.
▪ Blue, 206 N. College St. in the Hearst Tower. Thanksgiving jazz brunch 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. $39.95 for adults, $14.95 for ages 6-12, free for ages 5 and younger. Featuring live music from The Presley Group. 704-927-2583 or http://bluecharlotte.com/.
▪ Midwood Smokehouse, 4 locations (1401 Central Ave., 704-295-4227; 12410 Johnston Road in Ballantyne, 980-430-1086; 702 Cross Hill Road in Columbia, 803-764-1231; and McKee Farms, 3335 Siskey Parkway, Matthews, 704-708-4137). Smoked meats including turkey, sides, appetizers and desserts; prices vary. Deadline to order: Nov. 20. Pickup Nov. 23. Call locations to order or find the menu online at www.midwoodsmokehouse.com.
▪ The Palm, 6705 Phillips Place Court. 3-course dinner; a la carte also available. $55; $24 for children younger than 12. 2-7 p.m. 704-552-7256.
Closed: Both Roosters locations, although The King’s Kitchen will do dinners for people who are homeless or otherwise won’t have a meal through the week; 704-375-1990. Also: The Fig Tree, all Bruce Moffett restaurants (Barrington’s, Stagioni and Good Food on Montford), Reid’s, Fork! in Cornelius and WP Kitchen + Bar.