Serve these flavorful shrimp fajitas for a weeknight meal, or make a bigger batch for a group feast. The shrimp marinade in the recipe works well, but if pressed for time you could substitute a purchased fajita sauce.
Corn and black bean salad is a festive, colorful side dish. Here’s how to make it: Toss 1 cup frozen corn kernels (defrosted) and 1 cup low-sodium black beans (rinsed and drained) with 1/4 cup reduced-fat vinaigrette. Spoon into 2 large romaine lettuce leaves.
• The onion and bell pepper can be sauteed in advance. Warm for a minute and add the shrimp to cook just before serving.
Never miss a local story.
• To quickly defrost frozen corn, place in a colander in the sink and run hot water over it.
• Warmed tortillas can be wrapped in foil and kept warm for an hour.
• Marinate the shrimp.
• Prepare remaining ingredients.
• Make salad and set aside.
• Make fajitas.
To buy: 3/4 pound uncooked, peeled shrimp; 1 red bell pepper; 1 small package 8-inch flour tortillas; 1 bottle chili powder; 1 bottle ground cumin; 1 package frozen corn kernels; 1 can black beans; 1 head romaine lettuce.
Staples: Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, onion, reduced-fat vinaigrette dressing, salt, black peppercorns.