Try these Sugar Smart tips to crush your sugar cravings faster than you can scarf down a Snickers:
1. Eat a protein-packed breakfast. Protein in the a.m. makes it difficult for sugar cravings to take hold later on.
2. Never go hungry. Meal skipping fires up sugar cravings. Eat three meals and two snacks of whole grains, beans, lean meats/poultry/fish, nuts, unsweetened low-fat dairy, eggs, and veggies.
3. Suss out secret sugars. Secret sugars lurk in everything from ketchup to crackers, salad dressings to pasta sauce.
Never miss a local story.
4. Pump up flavor. Experiment liberally with spices (cinnamon and ginger can quell a sweet tooth). Use flavor boosters balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon and orange zest and hot sauce.
5. Sleep more. The key to stopping sugar cravings is balancing the hormones ghrelin (an appetite trigger) and leptin (signals satiety) and insulin. With these hormones in harmony, you’ll experience fewer cravings and less fat storage.