The opening of the new Ivey’s Hotel in uptown Charlotte means a new spot for an upscale cocktail lounge. And with 5Church right next door, that means the 5Church team, including executive chef Jamie Lynch, Alejandro Torio and Patrick Whalen, will be all over it.
Fresh off his run on “Top Chef: Charleston,” Lynch has a new set of plates for riffing on, to go with cocktails by Patricia Smith, a newcomer to the area. We got a look at the plans for the lineup when Sophia opens, as planned anyway, at the end of the month.
A few highlights of the shared-plates list:
▪ Deviled Scotch egg.
▪ Lamb Tartare with harissa aioli.
▪ Sous Vide (you knew it had to be there, right?) Clams, with crispy garlic, parsley foam and red pepper confit.
▪ Tuna Tataki (aka seared tuna) with ramen gelee, togarashi (the Japanese chile mixture) and pickled long beans.
▪ Wreckfish with king crab, corn, favas and confit tomatoes.
▪ Pheasant roulade with ratatouille-stuffed squash blossoms.
When Sophia’s is open, the hours will be 3 p.m.-midnight Sundays, 3 p.m.-1 a.m. Monday-Thursday, and 3 p.m.-2 a.m. Friday and Saturday.
Oh, and put this on the trivia list: Sophia is a reference to our familiar Queen Charlotte. Her full name was Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.