Ready to get your calendar out? Here are a collection of food events coming up that are worth your attention:
1. 500 pounds of chocolate. The 5th annual Sweet Escapes Gala for Community Link, a Charlotte nonprofit that helps people get affordable housing, features 500 pounds of chocolate in the form of sculptures, cakes, truffles, tarts and edible art. It’s all created by Central Piedmont’s Baking and Pastry Arts Club in partnership with chocolate makers, including The Secret Chocolatier, Potts Chocolate, the Southern Cake Queen and Dessert Fetish. When: 7:30-10 p.m. Saturday at the Mint Museum Randolph, 2730 Randolph Road. Tickets: $90 at communitylinknc.org/sweetescapes.
2. Whiskey and cheese. Orrman’s Cheese Shop and the Great Wagon Road Distillery have started a series of monthly classes on pairing pairing cheese and local whiskey, including four cheeses and a flight of GWR’s liquors. This first one is 7-8 p.m. April 21 at The Broken Spoke, 227 Southside Drive. Tickets: $27.37 at www.eventbrite.com.
3. Do good and eat shrimp. Reid’s Fine Foods will hold a Low Country Boil from 3-6 p.m. Saturday to raise money to help employee William O’Kelly, who was seriously injured in a mo-ped accident. The Low Country Boil is $9.99 and includes a silent auction and raffle for wine events and cooking classes. At both locations, 2823 Selwyn Ave. and SouthPark. Details: 704-377-1312.
Never miss a local story.
4. Do good, view tables and eat lunch. The Salvation Army’s Festival of Tables is 10 a.m.-1:30 pm. Friday at the Sheraton in uptown Charlotte. Lunch speaker is Molly Barker of Girls on the Run. Tickets: $40. Call 704-621-7187.
5. Learn how to cook historically Southern. Food historian Clarissa Clifton Lynch will give a talk, “How To Feed Your Southerner.” No food will be served, but Lynch will demonstraste 19th-century techniques for a Sunday dinner. It’s at the James K. Polk Historic Site, 12031 Lancaster Highway in Pineville, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Tickets: $10 for adults and $5 for ages 13-17. Details: 704-889-7145.