By ANJANETTE FLOWERS / NewsChannel 36 AFlowers@WCNC.com
INDIAN TRAIL, N.C. -- It started out with her three kids playing on the swing set in their back yard and the next thing Rebecca Riffle knew she was giving CPR to 23-month-old Harper.
"I was running and holding him flat, and as I was running I was giving him CPR. I was blowing in his mouth and I mean he was just solid blue, unconscious and not breathing," said Riffle.
It happened last Thursday at their home in Indian Trail.
Never miss a local story.
"The kids were out there playing," she said.
Riffle was in the kitchen.
"I came in here to put my husband's baked potato in the microwave," she said.
But through the window she was keeping an eye on the children in the back yard. At first, she didn't realize Harper was in trouble.
"I looked outside and I saw my son at the bottom of the slide," she said.
But when he didn't move, she knew something was wrong. She ran outside to the play set.
"He was just like strangled right here. He was solid blue and he wasn't moving," Riffle said.
Riffle grabbed her son and ran back into the house to call 911. Somehow Harper's neck had gotten tangled in a rope. It was a rope Riffle had attached to his baby swing.
"It was kind of like a pull rope. I would sit on the bench and pull him when he would swing," she said.
Riffle thinks Harper and his sisters pulled the rope to the top of the slide and he got it wrapped around his neck while going down. Since then, she has gotten rid of the rope.
"I will be standing pushing the swing from now on," she said.
And while CPR helped her son breathe again, she says it was something else that saved his life.
"It was God's arms around me that had that baby and he was telling me what to do the whole time," she said.
Harper is doing just fine. He will be 2 years old in June.