LOS ANGELES Toy safety regulators said Monday that Zhu Zhu Pets – one of the holiday season's hottest toy crazes – do not violate federal safety standards after all.
A spokesman for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said the toy “is not out of compliance” with a new U.S. toy safety law that began taking effect this year. The agency did not test the toy.
The consumer group GoodGuide raised concerns over the presence of a potentially harmful heavy metal in a Mr. Squiggles model of the robotic hamsters that it tested. The group said its testing found levels of antimony, a heavy metal that can cause vomiting if eaten and heart and lung problems if breathed, on the toy that exceeded federal limits.
Never miss a local story.
But those claims fell apart Monday, when GoodGuide announced that the way it got its test results – using a special gun that shoots X-rays into a toy and gives a reading for how much lead, antimony or other substances are in the material – is not recognized by the CPSC.
Instead, the CPSC tests how much of a heavy metal would seep out if a kid sucked or swallowed a toy – not just how much of a potentially dangerous substance a toy contains.
The CPSC concluded the furry toy does not pose a threat based on independent testing presented by the toy's manufacturer, Cepia LLC, who had vehemently defended Zhu Zhu Pets' safety from the start.
In the MomsCharlotte forums: Is your child getting a Zhu Zhu pet for Christmas?