I don’t know any other way to phrase this, so I’m just going to say it. My kid is weird when it comes to naming things.
She comes by it honestly. My wife always wanted a dog named Pants. So that’s what we’ve got. A dog named Pants.
A day doesn’t go by that I don’t have to explain to someone that “Yes, I said Pants… but we think of it in the sense of ‘a dog pants when it’s hot’”. I’m not so sure that’s the case. Whatever. My kid is a chip off the old block.
Looking around the room right now I see several toys that have run afoul of my daughter’s unique view towards naming conventions:
- Turkey Brown (a stuffed turkey)
- Cat Pony (some strange My Little Pony knock-off)
- Sister Bunny (a girl rabbit)
- Brother Bunny (a male rabbit)
- Watch (a stuffed rabbit)
- Skull (a stuffed skull)
- Music Way (actually, that’s the name she gave to the brown chair next to me)
- Line Elevator (a paper turkey she made at school)
I suppose she’ll grow out of this phase and I should just enjoy it. But I went to middle school with sisters named Lasagna and Popcorn (no joke), so sometimes I worry that I’ll look into my gene pool and see Line Elevator Pants Jr. smiling back at me.