Nearly 70 percent of Americans are on at least one prescription drug, and more than 50 percent take at least two, according to a 2013 Mayo Clinic study. With health care costs on the rise, here are ways to save money without jeopardizing your health:• Ask your doctor about the prescription’s price. Ask for lower cost options, a generic alternative, coupons or mail-in rebates.
• Visit the manufacturer’s website and search for ways to save on your prescription.
• If you have health insurance, use its mail order program.
• The GoodRx app lets consumers compare prescription drug prices at local drugstores. It also offers coupons.
• Some organizations, such as AARP, offer prescription discount card programs.
• Many pharmaceutical companies offer hardship assistance. Visit the Partnership for Prescription Assistance website, pparx.com, for a listing.