Creamy Tomato Soup
11/30/2012 12:38 PM
11/30/2012 12:39 PM
Nothing beats a warm soup on a cold day. Tomato soup and cheese sandwiches have long been a trusted favorite. However, next time you are in the mood for a killer creamy tomato soup give this charred tomato soup recipe a try. Silky smooth, smokey, tart and a touch of tang make this scratch made soup one that you will gravitate to every time the weather turns to cold. The tomatoes can be charred in a skillet, oven (under a low broiler) or on the grill for an even bigger flavor. Allow the tomatoes to cool and then simply peel the skins off, rough chop them and puree them along with the charred onion and red peppers. Use a good vegetable or chicken stock to thin out the base before letting it simmer. The flavors are then balanced out with a touch of sugar and vinegar. Fresh basil, cream and a soft cheese such as goat cheese, feta or blue cheese round out the masterpiece to perfection. Serve with a good crusty grilled garlic toast and you are sure to keep this soup recipe on file for years to come.
Charred Tomato-Corn-Bacon SoupIngredients Step One 3 ½ Pounds-Beefsteak Tomatoes-halved
1 Medium-Red Onions-peeled and halved
1 Large-Red Bell Peppers-halved and deseeded
1 Each-Corn on the Cob-boiled, oiled, seasoned, cut of cob, reserved
To Coat-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
To Taste-Chef Troy’s Spice Mix- or kosher salt/black pepper
1/2 Pound-Bacon-cut into thin strips, cooked, drained, reserve bacon/drippings separate Step Two 1 Bulb-Garlic-halved, oil, season, wrap in foil, bake 300 degrees until soft, about one hour
2 ½ Cups-Chicken Stock
2 Tablespoons-Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon-Granulated Sugar Step Three 1 Cup-Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Tablespoons-Fresh Basil-chopped, plus extra for garnish
½ Cup-Blue Cheese-crumbled
To Taste-Cooked Bacon-reserved from step one for garnish Directions Step One 1. Preheat grill/grill pan for direct heat grilling to medium high heat.
2. Toss tomatoes, onions, pepper with olive oil and season generously with spice mix
3. Grill tomatoes, onions, peppers until slightly charred, remove and allow to cool on a sheet tray.
4. Remove skin from tomatoes and discard skins.
5. Rough shop vegetables and place back on sheet tray with all their juices. Step Two 1. Working in batches place vegetables/juices in food processor and process until smooth.
2. Warm bacon dripping over medium high heat in a stock pot, if bacon dripping don’t equal ½ cup add olive for difference.
3. Place pureed vegetables in stock pot with bacon dripping and add roasted garlic.
4. Cook, stirring frequently until warmed through about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add stock, vinegar, sugar, lower heat to medium/medium low and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Step: Three 1. Stir in the heavy cream, ½ of the blue cheese and basil.
2. Stir to melt blue cheese into soup.
3. Place soup in bowls, top with blue cheese, corn, bacon and basil cut into thin strips.
4. Serve with grilled garlic toast.
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.