Mini apple pies with Nutella sauce
12/11/2012 9:16 AM
12/11/2012 9:21 AM
I always try and come with something a bit different for sweet treats around the holidays other than the classic cookie. Don’t get me wrong, I love cookies and love receiving them during the holiday season. However, it is always a bit awkward when exchanging homemade gift for homemade gift and you end up with a similar cookie than the one you just gave away. Here is something a little bit different that you can use for holiday parties or to “one up” in the giving department.
These little pies are the perfect excuse to get the family in kitchen with Christmas tunes playing to have some fun putting together this perfect little homemade gift. These mini apple pies are kicked up using almond extract, cinnamon and a touch of ginger. The Nutella sauce is perfect dipping, is super simple to make and takes these mini’s to a whole new level.
So before you consider buying store bought holiday cookies and dressing them up in a gift box, make a mini apple pie test batch. You and the family are sure to want share with all those cookie givers on your list. Pie
2 Each-Refrigerated Pie Crust Dough
2 Each-Granny Smith Apples
1 Each-Lemon-juice of
2 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
1/4 Teaspoon-Almond Extract-or vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons-Brown sugar
1 Tablespoons-Fresh Ginger-grated
2 Tablespoons-All Purpose Flour
1 Each-Egg Yolk
1 Tablespoon-Heavy Cream Sauce ½ Cup-Nutella
3 Tablespoons heavy cream Directions: 1. Preheat oven 425 degrees
2. Peel apples, remove from core, cut into small cubes and place in a mixing bowl.
3. Add lemon juice and mix to combine.
4. Melt butter in a large non stick pan over medium heat until starting to foam.
5. Add apples/lemon juice, almond extract, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and stir to combine.
6. Cook stirring frequently to soften apples, about 5 minutes.
7. Add flour, stir to incorporate and cook until liquid in pan begins to thicken, about 5 to 7 minutes.
8. Remove and let cool to room temperature, about 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Remove pie dough from package, flour both sides and gently roll dough out to about a 14” diameter.
10. Butter a sheet tray and set aside.
11. On one of the pie dough mound cooled apple filling in 8 piles.
12. Lay second dough on top and form over mounds.
13. Using a cutter larger than the mounds cut out each mini pie.
14. Fold edges of dough over, pleating each fold all the way around filling to seal.
15. Place each on sheet tray.
16. Whisk egg yolk and milk together and brush top of each pie.
17. Poke three small holes in the center of each.
18. Place in preheated oven and cook until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
19. Remove from oven and let cool slightly and serve with Nutella sauce to dip.
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.