Here are a few recipes for the big game, or for any party that deserves something a little more than normal. For more great recipe ideas from Chef Troy visit www.cheftroy.net; and tune in every Tuesday to watch his live cooking show on Fox News Rising 7-9 am on Fox Charlotte. To watch the video of these recipes visit Tuesdays with Troy.
Whiskey Onion and Crab Cornbread Fritter BallsFritter Balls
Never miss a local story.
6 Ounces-Crab Meat-claw or back fin
¼ Cup-Yellow onions (cut into half moons)
1/2 Tablespoon-Unsalted Butter
1/2 Tablespoon-Brown Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
1/8 Teaspoon-Cayenne Pepper
1/4Cup-Jack Daniels Whiskey- black labelCorn Bread
1/2 Cup-Yellow Corn Meal
1/2 Cup-All Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon-Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon-Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon-Black Pepper
2 Each-Large Egg
2 Tablespoon-Unsalted Butter-meltedDirections
1. Preheat a large sauté pan or stock pot on medium high heat.
2. Melt butter and add onions, salt, brown sugar and cayenne pepper.
3. Continue to cook onions until reduce by half their size, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. When pan is almost dry add whiskey and reduce heat to very low heat.
5. Continue to stir and cook onions until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
6. Allow to cool slightly and chop fine.
7. Preheat a deep fat fryer to 360 degrees
8. In a large mixing bowl combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper.
9. In a separate bowl combine milk, butter and egg.
10. Slowly add milk/egg mixture to dry ingredients while mixing together.
11. Add whiskey onions to corn bread mixture along with crab and fold together with a rubber spatula
12. Using a 2 ounce portion scoop or a spoon begin gently dropping cornbread mixture fryer.
13. Fry in batches until golden brown, flipping during once.
14. Drain on paper towel lined plate and serve.
Fried Pimento Cheese Stuffed Risotto Balls
Makes about 10Risotto
4 Cups-Cooked Risotto-cooled, or leftover rice
2 Tablespoons-Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley-leaves only, chopped fine
1 Tablespoon-Crushed Red Pepper
1 Cup-Sharp Cheddar Cheese-grated
1 Cup-Pepper Jack Cheese-grated
2 Each-Green Onion-ends removed, sliced thin
3 to 4 Cups-Panko Breadcrumbs
1 ½ Quart-Canola Oil