Tis the season for light and refreshing meals and there is nothing better than a salad that eats like meal. Grilling romaine and cabbage for this salad give it slightly smoky taste. Then combined with tomato, onion, carrot and feta cheese you’d think that it would stop there. Oh contraire, adding shrimp and sausage rosemary skewers makes this into a full blown meal. Topping it off with a simple lemon vinaigrette and corn bread crouton makes this not only dinner but a work of art, enjoy!
Chopped Summer Salad with Corn Bread CroutonsSalad 2 Romaine Hearts-halved
¼ Head-Red Cabbage-cut into half leaving root end in tact
2 Each-Roma Tomatoes-deseeded and diced
4 Each-Green Onions-sliced thin
½ Cup -Carrot-shredded, chopped
½ Cup-Feta Cheese
To Drizzle-Olive Oil
To Taste-Chef Troy’s Spice Mix Croutons 2 Cups-Cornbread-leftover or store bought, cut into small cubes
3 Tablespoons-Olive Oil
¼ Cup-Parmesan Cheese-grated
2 Tablespoons-Fresh Parsley-chopped
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper Dressing ¼ Cup-Lemon Juice
1 ½ Tablespoon-Dijon Mustard
1 Tablespoon-Fresh Oregano-leaves only, chopped
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
Optional-Crushed Red Pepper-to taste
½ Cup -Olive Oil Directions 1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Place cornbread cubes on sheet tray and bake until crispy and dried through, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Place in bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
4. Add parmesan, parsley, season and toss.
5. Place back on sheet tray; scrape out any remaining cheese/parsley from bowl onto cornbread.
6. Bake in oven for 5 minutes, remove and cool.
7. For dressing place all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
8. While still running, slowly add oil until all has been incorporated, set aside until ready to use.
9. Preheat grill for direct heat grilling to medium high.
10. Drizzle romaine/cabbage with oil and season.
11. Place romaine on grill cut side down.
12. Grill until slightly charred, about one minute on cut side only, remove.
13. Add cabbage; grill until charred on both cut sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
14. Remove from grill and allow to cool.
15. Cut romaine all the way down to the root end.
16. Group romaine together and chop into small pieces.
17. Cut root off of cabbage and cut into pieces.
18. Group together cabbage and chop into small pieces.
19. Place romaine/cabbage into bowl with tomato, onion, carrot, feta and toss to combine.
20. Drizzle with a little dressing, toss to coat, top with croutons and serve.
Shrimp & Sausage Rosemary Skewers4 Each-Rosemary Sprigs-8” to 12” long, or wooden skewers
2 Links-Italian Sausage-casing removed
16 Each-Shrimp-16/20-peeled and deveined
To Brush-Olive Oil
To Taste-Chef Troy’s Spice Mix
2 Each-Lemon-sliced into 16 thin slices, save ends for finished dish Directions 1. Remove rosemary starting at thick end and leave 2” left on top.
2. Form sausage into 16 equal portions.
3. Place each portion of sausage in curved part of shrimp.
4. Form to shape and flatten sausage to same thickness as shrimp.
5. While still holding shrimp/sausage thread onto skewers starting from head end of shrimp.
6. Pass skewer through shrimp into sausage and into tail part of shrimp.
7. Roll a slice of lemon up and place on skewer.
8. Repeat placing four shrimp/sausage on each skewer followed by a rolled/sliced lemon.
9. Preheat grill for direct heat grilling to medium high heat.
10. Brush shrimp/sausage with oil, season with Spice Mix.
11. Place on grill leaving rosemary end of skewer off heat.
12. Grill 2-3 minutes per side and serve with a squeeze of lemon.