Cod Saltimbocca with Garlicky Cream Dressed Spinach
09/13/2013 9:24 AM
09/13/2013 1:17 PM
Easy and gourmet usually don’t get used in the same sentence let alone the same dish. When we think of “gourmet” visions of small portions of food with complex techniques come to mind. That doesn’t have to be the case if you use quality ingredients, creative plating and interesting ideas. Such is the case with this version of saltimbocca. Sounds like a fancy dish but in reality it is a classic Roman dish that is usually made with veal or chicken. Flavored with fresh sage and wrapped with a good quality/thin sliced prosciutto and dressed with a simple pan sauce this is peasant food gone gourmet with the addition of a lightly dressed creamy garlic spinach accompaniment. Substitute any firm fish for cod or simply use a boneless skinless chicken breast. The pan sauce is super simple using the same pan used to cook the protein by deglazing with white wine, lemon juice and chicken stock. The addition of fresh parsley brightens the sauce up after swirling in cold butter. The spinach is like no other cream spinach dish you have ever had. If you aren’t a fan of mushy/slimy spinach dishes this one is for you. After steeping cream with lots of fresh garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper the cream is removed from the heat and allowed to cool just slightly before gently tossing the spinach to coat with the cream. If you like this idea of easy gourmet check out the video from “Tuesdays with Troy” to see the Cod Saltimbocca put together on WCCB Rising. For another “Easy Gourmet” idea, check out my recipe for Black Bean & Chorizo Enchiladas with Charred Tomatoes.
Cod Saltimbocca with Garlicky Cream Dressed Spinach4 Portions-Cod Filets-4-6 ounces each
4 Each-Sage Leaves
4 Slices-Prosciutto-sliced thin
To Taste-Chef Troy’s Spice Mix-or kosher salt/black pepper
To Coat-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ Cup-White Wine
2 Tablespoons-Lemon Juice
½ Cup-Chicken Stock
2 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
2 Tablespoons-Flat leaf Parsley Spinach 1 Tablespoon-Unsalted Butter
½ Cup-Heavy Cream
2 Cloves-Garlic-sliced thin
3 Cups-Fresh Spinach
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper/Crushed Red Pepper Directions: 1. Lightly season each piece of fish on both sides with Spice Mix.
2. Lay prosciutto flat on a work surface, place one sage leaf in middle and top with cod loin.
3. Fold over prosciutto to overlap, place on a plate and seam side down.
4. For spinach, melt butter in pot, add cream, garlic and bring to a strong simmer.
5. Cook until just starting to reduce, about 5 minutes and remove from heat.
6. Add spinach, salt/pepper/crushed red pepper, stir to wilt and keep warm.
7. For cod, preheat an iron skillet to medium high heat and add just enough oil to barley cover the bottom.
8. Place cod in skillet, prosciutto seam side down.
9. Cook to slightly brown on all sides, about 1-2 minutes per side.
10. Remove and keep warm by loosely covering with foil.
11. Add lemon juice/stock to pan, reduce by half, add butter and swirl to melt.
12. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
13. Add cod back to skillet and baste a few times with sauce.
14. Plate spinach on individual plates or a serving platter.
15. Top with cod and drizzle with sauce.
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.