Molasses Orange Chipotle Glazed Salmon Arugula Salad
09/20/2013 11:24 AM
09/20/2013 11:25 AM
Excerpt from Chef Troy’s new cookbook Pseudo Southern; order now at www.cheftroy.net
Salmon and salads go together like beer and horseshoes, especially when you jack up the flavor of salmon with a spicy, sweet, and citrusy glaze.
Orange, chipotle, and molasses are combined and brushed on grilled or seared salmon, then flaked onto peppery, crisp arugula. After that, it’s drizzled with a simple homemade dressing with ginger, more orange, and a subtle bite of rice wine vinegar.
Grilled corn adds a charred taste and crunchy texture, and the creamy silkiness of avocado makes this way more than a salad. This entrée takes more than just a few Pseudo Southern ingredients and combines them into an epic salad that is sure to become a favorite.
To see this salad and more entrée salads check out Chef Troy’s “Tuesdays with Troy” segment courtesy WCCB Charlotte.
Molasses Orange Chipotle Glazed Salmon Arugula SaladSalmon/Glaze 4-4/6 Ounce-Salmon Filets-skin off
To Drizzle-Canola Oil
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
3 Tablespoons-Molasses-full flavor
1/2 Each-Orange-juice of
1 Teaspoon-Chipotle Puree-canned chipotle peppers in adobo, puree in blender Salad 8 Cups-Baby Spinach
1 Each-Corn on the Cob-par boiled, oiled, season, charred on grill
1/4 Cup-Red Onion-sliced into half moons
1 Each-Avocado-halved, pit removed, sliced thin
4 Ounces-Goat Cheese-crumbled
1/2 Cup-Smokehouse Almonds-rough chopped Dressing 1 Teaspoon-Dijon Mustard
2 Tablespoons-Orange Juice
1 Tablespoon-Rice Vinegar
1 Tablespoon-Ginger-finely grated
1/4 Cup-Canola Oil
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
2 Teaspoons-Sesame Seeds Directions 1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
2. Whisk together molasses, orange juice and chipotle puree until well combined.
3. Drizzle salmon with oil, season with salt/pepper and place on grill flesh side down.
4. Let salmon grill without moving for 2-3 minutes or until it release itself from the grates.
5. Carefully slide a flat metal spatula under salmon.
6. Turn 45 degrees, grill another 2-3 minutes and flip.
7. Brush salmon with molasses chipotle glaze; continue grilling and brushing with glaze.
8. Cook salmon until just cooked through about 3-5 minutes more.
9. Brush with glaze just before removing from grill and place on a plate.
10. Put in refrigerator until completely cooled.
11. Prepare dressing by placing mustard, orange juice, vinegar and ginger in a blender.
12. Blend to combine; while blender is running, slowly add oil until all has been incorporated.
13. Pour dressing into a bowl, season with salt/pepper and whisk in sesame seeds.
14. Evenly disperse arugula on a large serving platter or 4 individual plates.
15. Top with corn, onions, and avocado.
16. Gently flake off salmon into large pieces on top of salad.
17. Top with goat cheese, almonds and drizzle a little dressing over salad.
18. Serve immediately with remaining dressing on side.
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.