As summer slowly ticks away gardens everywhere are still producing tons of vegetables. Farmers markets are over flowing with all kinds of summer vegetables. Tomatoes and squash are a couple of items that you have probably given away more than you eaten and are still up to your ears if you planted this year. This dish, simple as it is, even makes a great meal. There is no real pasta in this recipe, just squash cut in the shape of penne. So for all those cutting carbs or gluten free this one is or you. For moms trying to get dad and kids to eat more veggies, this one is for you. For you couples or bachelors on the receiving end of these summer time gifts from co-workers or neighbors here is your chance to help use up some of the gardens bounty. Fresh tomatoes are perfect for this recipe, but whole peeled canned will do the trick a pinch. By simply removing the skin using boiling water and an ice bath the texture of this dish will be free of those hard to chew pieces of the tomato skin. Not only this dish super tasty, it is also really good for you and quick to put together. Feel free to use yellow squash if you have those, they will work equally as well. Give this one a try and pass it along to all those in need of using up all those wonderful summer tomatoes, squash and fresh basil.
Zucchini Pasta with Summer Tomatoes2 Each-Beef Steak Tomatoes
To Drizzle-Olive Oil
¼ Cup-Red Onion-small dice
3 Tablespoons-Tomato Paste
To Taste-Chef Troy’s Spice Mix
2 Pounds-Zucchini Squash-small to medium size
2 Tablespoons-Basil-chopped plus extra for garnish
To Taste-Parmesan Cheese-grated Directions 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and set up an ice bath.
2. Cut a small “X” in the bottom of each tomato just through the skin.
3. Place in boiling water for 45 seconds, remove and place directly in ice bath for one minute.
4. Remove tomato, peel skin off tomato starting where “X” was cut into bottom.
5. Remove core of tomato and cut up into bite size pieces.
6. Warm a large sauté pan over medium high heat and drizzle in a couple tablespoons of oil.
7. Add tomato/onion/garlic and season with Spice Mix
8. Cook, stirring frequently until onions begin to soften, 3-5 minutes and add tomato paste.
9. Stir to melt in paste and incorporate into vegetables.
10. Add zucchini/basil and toss to cook until just warmed through and firm to taste.
11. Serve immediately garnish with parmesan cheese and basil.